My group workshops focus on good technique and the fundamentals of literati-style free-brush Chinese Brush Painting and Calligraphy.
They include tuition by demonstration and individual coaching, handouts of notes and examples, with relevant books and photographs available. All workshops can be tailored to the learners:
- Beginners/Improvers workshops provide an introduction to materials, techniques, and traditional subjects.
- Improvers/Experienced Workshops encourage students to create their own paintings and use calligraphy on their paintings.
Contact me to find out more.
- The Four Treasures: really get to know and use your brush, paper & ink.
- The Four Gentlemen: 2 days to cover traditional orchid, bamboo, chrysanthemum and plum blossom with appropriate short phrases in calligraphy.
- Spring flowers- narcissus: understand the structure of the flower, and paint different compositions, plus calligraphy phrase.
- Lotus: understand the structure of this amazing flower by studying photos and sketches; learn to paint flowers & leaves in ink and colour.
- Lotus handscrolls: large-scale painting to encourage painters to create their own compositions with a short phrase of related calligraphy.
- Wisteria hanging scrolls: large-scale painting of wisteria with goldfish, with a short phrase of related calligraphy.
- Snow Bamboo: using wash on xuan and sized paper, with calligraphy title.
- Moon Bamboo: using wash on semi-sized paper, with calligraphy title.
- Flowers, birds and insects: Peony & butterfly, Willow & swallow, Lilies & dragonfly, Chrysanthemum & sparrow, Magnolia and Oriole.
- Birds: cranes, peacocks, chickens, orioles, swallows, sparrows, ducks, kingfishers, robins …
- Eagles in the style of Wu Zuoren: includng short phrases of related calligraphy.
- Camels in the style of Wu Zuoren.
- Frogs and Prawns in the style of Qi Baishi.
- Dragon and phoenix.
- Landcape basics: trees and rocks.
- Winter landscape with special effects: simple landscapes using cream resist and glue wash, with calligraphy title.
- Still Life -Teapots, fruit and vegetables: to encourage painters to create their own compositions, and add a short phrase of calligraphy.
- Still Life – Flowers and vases: to encourage painters to create their own compositions, and add a short phrase of calligraphy.
- Composition – Flower & Bird: analyse, understand and use the principles of composition for free brush flower and bird painting, including placement of calligraphy and seals.
- Composition – Landscape: analyse, understand and use the “eight compositions” for landscape.
- A la carte: Other subjects by agreement – for example, Peace Poppies.
- Calligraphy for Paintings: 1-day workshop to give painters the ability to use some short phrases of “running script” calligraphy on their paintings.
- Calligraphy Scripts: the different Chinese scripts are a pleasure in themselves and a great way to improve your brushwork.
- Seal Carving