- BBC Radio 3 programme on the music of the Yi and Hani ethnic minorities in Yunnan province.
- Sounds of China podcast.
- music of the qin
- listen to qin
- in Chengdu
- in Beijing 2007 and 2011
- Flowing Water 流水 is the piece included on the Voyager recording. This version accompanies landscape paintings.
- BBC In Our Time described the introduction and impact of Chinese legalism, Daoism; Confucianism, the Han Synthesis
- 100 Schools of Thought
- When a white horse is not a horse
- 3 Character Classic
Excellent online course on The European Discovery of China, with the wonderful Professor Dolores Folch. A fantastic resource, and it is free! Amongst lots of excellent material, it uses the QingMing festival handscroll (Ming dynasty version).
BBC radio podcasts include much on Chinese culture & history:
- China: As History is my Witness, a very interesting series on how history informs today’s China.
- The Reith Lectures 2008 opened up Chinese Vistas.
- In Our Time on early sources of Chinese History; Silk Roads; Warring States. Plus more recent events such as the Long March.
- A History of Ideas included Ancestor Worship and Creation Myths including Daoism.
- A History of the World in 100 Objects included Zhou bronze bell; Silk Road wall painting.
- Chinese Characters. – from the female Emperor Wu Zetian to Bruce Lee and many more!
Chinese objects showing dissent, from the BM exhibition 2018.
BBC’s Wild China series is available on DVD.
Culture & Artefacts
A rather nice series of books on Chinese Culture – compact format, not expensive, colour pictures and dual English & Chinese text. There are lots of different subjects, from poetry to lanterns, bridges to pagodas, scholar objects to the Tea-Horse Road. For example, here are 3 on clothing.
Japanese Architecture and Art Historical terminology: JAANUS
Handling old books – definitely no gloves!
The Periodic Table in Chinese – each element is just one character, which includes radicals that tell you if the element is a metal 釒, a gas 气 , a liquid 水or a non-metal solid 石. This video could help you write and pronounce them.
A Bite of China, from CCTV, so perhaps take with a pinch of C5H8NO4Na.
Fabulous photos of beetles!