I have been expanding my knowledge of Chinese Culture with interactive online seminars with Madison, a sinophile with a wide knowledge of Chinese history and customs. We’ve explored Chinese poetry and drooled over the Eight Great Cuisines!
Literature, Poetry, Sayings
- China Knowledge, a personal encyclopaedia of Chinese history and culture.
- I also like Dragon Carvings, another personal website, with translations of ancient Chinese literature.
- Chinese Literature Podcast
- I enjoy the Chinese Sayings Podcast by Lazlo Montgomery.
People and Practices
More on Chinese Culture.
- BBC In Our Time described the introduction and impact of Chinese legalism, Daoism; Confucianism, the Han Synthesis
- 100 Schools of Thought
- When a white horse is not a horse
- 3 Character Classic
A rather nice series of books on different aspects of Chinese culture, artefacts, architecture etc – compact format, not expensive, colour pictures and dual English & Chinese text. There are lots of different subjects, from poetry to lanterns, bridges to pagodas, scholar objects to the Tea-Horse Road. For example, here are 3 on clothing.
They are available online from Purple Culture & Cypress Books.
Handling old books – definitely no gloves!
A Bite of China, from CCTV, so perhaps take with a pinch of C5H8NO4Na.
My friend Anita teaches Tai Chi in Surrey, and Sylvia in Kent.