- BBC Radio 3 programme on the music of the Yi and Hani ethnic minorities in Yunnan province.
- Sounds of China podcast.
- music of the qin
- listen to qin
- in Chengdu
- in Beijing 2007 and 2011
- Flowing Water 流水 is the piece included on the Voyager recording. This version accompanies landscape paintings.
- BBC In Our Time described the introduction and impact of Chinese legalism, Daoism; Confucianism, the Han Synthesis
- 100 Schools of Thought
- When a white horse is not a horse
- 3 Character Classic
Excellent online course on The European Discovery of China, with the wonderful Professor Dolores Folch. A fantastic resource, and it is free! Amongst lots of excellent material, it uses the QingMing festival handscroll (Ming dynasty version).
BBC radio podcasts include much on Chinese culture & history:
- China: As History is my Witness, a very interesting series on how history informs today’s China.
- The Reith Lectures 2008 opened up Chinese Vistas.
- In Our Time on early sources of Chinese History; Silk Roads; Warring States. Plus more recent events such as the Long March.
- A History of Ideas included Ancestor Worship and Creation Myths including Daoism.
- A History of the World in 100 Objects included Zhou bronze bell; Silk Road wall painting.
- Chinese Characters. – from the female Emperor Wu Zetian to Bruce Lee and many more!
Chinese objects showing dissent, from the BM exhibition 2018.
Maxwell Hearn lecture on Chinese Gardens in art.
BBC’s Wild China series is available on DVD.
Culture & Artefacts
A rather nice series of books on Chinese Culture – compact format, not expensive, colour pictures and dual English & Chinese text. There are lots of different subjects, from poetry to lanterns, bridges to pagodas, scholar objects to the Tea-Horse Road. For example, here are 3 on clothing.
Japanese Architecture and Art Historical terminology: JAANUS
Handling old books – definitely no gloves!
The Periodic Table in Chinese – each element is just one character, which includes radicals that tell you if the element is a metal 釒, a gas 气 , a liquid 水or a non-metal solid 石. This video could help you write and pronounce them.
A Bite of China, from CCTV, so perhaps take with a pinch of C5H8NO4Na.
Fabulous photos of beetles!